Amid reports of plummeting ratings and high-profile resignations, GB News this week stepped up its “anti woke” direction, with the recruitment of a controversial new host, and an intensified focus on migrants and trans people.
While this direction may appeal to some sections of the GB News audience, the challenge for the channel is that many big brands will want to steer away from this kind of controversy.
GB News’s renewed “anti woke” tone will likely give many advertisers further pause for thought.
Stop Funding Hate volunteers have seen very few high profile brands advertising on GB News this week.
Sainsburys, Halfords, Tu Clothing and Bayer
Bayer were the sole pharmaceutical company that we saw this week, with adverts for Rennies and Canesten.
Other GB News advertisers this week included:
Duguud, Homefire, Postcode Lottery, M&Co Clothing
MoneySupermarket, NM Money Gold, Trailfinders, Lovely Flora
Appeal Blinds/ Haus Awning, Drayton Manor, AM Philips, Flagstone
Select Car Leasing, Contour Legacy Leg Pillow, Key Equity Release
Direct Bullion, H20HD, Lebara, Titan Travel, Octasmart,
Boundary Security, Vytaliving, Currensea, Select Specs
Quartize.co.uk, Parent Claim Line, Dormeo, Mettle
The UK Government also remained a notable GB News advertiser, with advertisements for the British Army and “Money Helper”.
It’s worth remembering that some of the advertisers listed above may be unaware that they have been appearing on GB News, as the agency that handles ad sales for GB News (Sky Media) also sells advertising across a range of other channels.
How to take action:
If you are a customer (or employee) of one of these brands, you can take action by sending them a polite and friendly message on Twitter, Facebook or email, encouraging them to rethink their advertising on GB News, and explaining why it matters to you.
It’s most effective if you send a message in your own words, but here’s some background information that might be useful:
- A high profile GB News presenter has quit and accused the channel of pandering to the “far-right” after being suspended for taking the knee on air
- Another GB News contributor quit the channel accusing it of “opening the gates of hell” by “demonising trans people at every opportunity”.
- A senior executive has reportedly resigned “to avoid fuelling culture wars”
- Within hours of launching, GB News was airing dangerous claims about COVID19.
- Research by Desmog has raised serious concerns about GB News’s coverage on climate change.
- There’s also an informed view here from the advertising industry press about why brands have been wise to avoid aligning themselves with GB News.
There’s more information here about Stop Funding Hate, and the impact of our campaign so far. If you’re able to help build our movement tackling toxic media, please consider becoming a committed supporter and making a regular donation.